Year 10 English
Year 10 English is aimed at Level 5 of the New Zealand curriculum. Students will study a range of written and visual texts. They will develop their understanding of literature, along with close reading skills. They will be expected to write in a range of styles. Developing an understanding of visual language, including film, is a component of the course. Oral communication, including a speaking assessment, is another important skill area focused on in the course.
Students will be able to gain both enjoyment and satisfaction from developing English skills in this course.
The programme will cover the English curriculum and will include the following activities:
- Writing skills – including both creative writing and essay writing
- Reading skills – including comprehension and thinking critically about a variety of oral, written and visual texts (novels, short stories, poetry, drama, film)
- Presenting skills - including a static image
- Giving a speech in a public or semi-formal situation
- Exploring a literature passion in a collaborative learning environment
This is a compulory course in Year 10.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
Up to an additional $20 may be charged to cover the cost of trips/transport etc..
Recommended Prior Learning
Year 9 English