NCEA Level 3 Physical Education
Teacher in Charge: Mr S. Manners.
Level 3 Physical Education
Term 1- Climbing and Disc Golf
- You will learn to climb or refresh your skills on our school climbing wall in the Hunter Gym
- Skill Development in Climbing Technique, Bouldering, Risk Management and Partner Belaying.
- We travel to Castle Hill and climb under supervision from qualified YMCA Instructors. Overnight is spent at the top of Mt Cheeseman in their on mountain accommodation and we guarantee one of the best sunrises you have ever seen.
- The climbing Assessment takes place at the YMCA in the city with a huge range of available climbs under expert supervision and instruction.
- The second half of term is spent playing disc golf at Jellie Park. You will be analysing and applying the Biomechanical Principles involved in the sport and using them to evaluate your own technique.
- You will be assessed on your Disc Golf in Both Term 1 and Term 4 using the Disc you receive as part of the course.
Term 2- Physical Activity and it's affect on Wellbeing
- You will develop a deeper understanding of what Physical Activity is and how it influence our Wellbeing.
- Through a variety of practical activities you will explore Play, Recreation, Leisure and Sport, considering when and where these are most dominant in a person life cycle and why.
- You will reflect on your experiences with Physical Activity, the influences on you ranging from Relationships, Society, Economic, Cultural and the Media. Through this you will develop strategies to remain Physically Active whilst challenging the assumptions made around the benefits and negatives of being involved with them.
- Its your chance to get creative with Assessment. You can choose from a range of options to present your information and research from a fully edited article style to an exciting you tube video.
Term 3 and 4- Leadership
- You will analyse and practice the different styles of leadership both traditional and contemporary
- With your peers you will have the chance to lead and find the style that best suits your personality and the chosen audience and environment
- Our Junior classes will then put these leadership styles to the test as you run lessons and fun physical activities for them to enjoy and offer their often honest feedback.
Recommended Prior Learning
Course costs: There will be costs involved in some of the practical components of this course. Including Professional instruction and the Rock Climbing Expedition, cost of approximately - $170.00
You will be assessed in this course through all or a selection of the standards listed below.
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
This course is approved for University Entrance.
Total Credits Available: 15 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 15 credits.
Approved subject for University Entrance
Number of credits that can be used for overall endorsement: 15
Only students engaged in learning and achievement derived from Te Marautanga o Aotearoa are eligible to be awarded these subjects as part of the requirement for 14 credits in each of three subjects.
Acupuncturist, Registered Nurse, Paramedic, Wall and Floor Tiler, Outdoor Recreation Guide/Instructor, Diver, Sports Coach/Official, Psychiatrist, Early Childhood Teacher, Professional Sportsperson, Groundsperson, Horse Trainer, Primary School Teacher, Physiotherapist, Tertiary Lecturer, Private Teacher/Tutor, Recreation Co-ordinator, Youth Worker, Secondary School Teacher,