Year 9 German- Half Year
Teacher in Charge: Ms C. Currie
German- Semester course
The semester course is designed for beginners and introduces you to the basics of the German language and culture.
Emphasis is placed on verbal communication but the basics of Spanish grammar and writing skills are also covered.
Learning a foreign language involves getting to know about the cultural aspects and traditions of the country where the language is spoken. The cultures, geography and customs of German-speaking countries will be incorporated into the course to encourage comparisons.
Students will learn to talk about topics of personal interest such as themselves, their family, pets and school.
Topics covered are:
1) Meeting people (greet, farewell, and thank people and respond to greetings and thanks, introduce yourself and others and respond to introductions,
2) Myself and my friends (personal information such as name, age, nationality and home)
3) Familiar people: appearances and personalities (communicate about physical characteristics, personality, and feelings)
4) Birthdays and special occasions (days of the week, months and dates, time)
5) Family relationships (relationships between people)
6) What’s in my classroom or immediate surroundings? (simple classroom language including asking for the word to express something in German)
N.B. Students taking this semester option may be eligible to take Year 10 German, subject to HOD approval.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
There is a course contribution of $20 to cover digital resources.
Students are expected to supply their own stationary.
Writer, Historian, Social Work, Translator, Journalist, Lecturer, Lawyer, Architect, Judge, Child Advocate, NZ Armed Forces, Traveller, Professional Singer/Dancer, Performer, Actor, Radio, Immigration Officer, Television, Politician, Tourism, Teacher, Linguist, Interpreter, Tourist Operator, Air Hostess, Airline Crew, Airport Worker, Hotel Manager, Import and Export Trader, Business person, Foreign Policy Officer, Workplace Relations Adviser, Intelligence Officer, Private Teacher/Tutor, Secondary School Teacher, Tertiary Lecturer, Tour Guide, Travel Agent/Adviser, Copywriter, Public Relations Professional, Radio Presenter, Television Presenter, Editor, Early Childhood Teacher, Primary School Teacher, Policy Analyst, Flight Attendant,
Burnside High School may change any costs, courses or standards offered without notice.